The most distressing piece of news in our house in 1958 was undoubtedly the Munich air disaster of 6th February when an air crash at Munich Airport in Germany caused the deaths of eight Manchester United players and several club officials and sports journalists. As a football fan this was devastating news for my dad who for many years afterwards always remembered the tragedy and spoke fondly of the lost Manchester United team. In a scrap book that he kept at the time he kept the front page of the Daily Mail which covered the story on the next day. The only other two newspaper front pages that he kept were those that reported the assassination of Kennedy and the death of Winston Churchill. That’s how much it meant to him.
- 561,088 hits
Search My Site
- Age of Innocence -1969, Man Lands on the Moon and the end of Innocence
- Age of Innocence – 1969, X Rated Films and Sex Education
- Age of Innocence – 1968, Shootings and Assassinations
- Age of Innocence – 1967, Radio Leicester and Cycling Proficiency
- Age of Innocence – 1967, Che Guevara, Torrey Canyon and Francis Chichester