The most distressing piece of news in our house in 1958 was undoubtedly the Munich air disaster of 6th February when an air crash at Munich Airport in Germany caused the deaths of eight Manchester United players and several club officials and sports journalists. As a football fan this was devastating news for my dad who for many years afterwards always remembered the tragedy and spoke fondly of the lost Manchester United team. In a scrap book that he kept at the time he kept the front page of the Daily Mail which covered the story on the next day. The only other two newspaper front pages that he kept were those that reported the assassination of Kennedy and the death of Winston Churchill. That’s how much it meant to him.
- 546,262 hits
Search My Site
- Age of Innocence – 1966, Pickles the Dog and the Football World Cup
- Age of Innocence – 1965, Motorway Speed Limits, Woodbine Cigarettes and Exams
- Age of Innocence – 1965, Death of the Greatest Briton, Winston Churchill
- Age of Innocence – 1964, Paper Rounds, Rugby Granada Cinema and School Reports
- Age of Innocence – 1964, The Warren Commission, the Ku Klux Klan and BBC2